Top 6 Reasons to Visit a Geriatric Dentist
As people age, their dental health needs change. Geriatric dentists care specifically for the teeth, mouth, and gums of senior citizens. Friendly Smiles, which is located in West Deptford and Mantua, NJ, offers a full range of dental services to their patients. Dr. Sharon Verdinelli is one of the top geriatric dentists in West Deptford and Mantua, NJ. Here are some reasons why you should choose a geriatric dentist to take care of your dental needs.
1. Education and Training- Geriatric dentists have completed at least eight years of post-secondary education and received a dental degree. Geriatric dentists must meet continuing education requirements for the remainder of their careers so that they keep current in the advances that are occurring in the field. Geriatric dentists have also received the proper education and training required to work with senior citizens.
2. Dental Care Services- Geriatric dentists diagnose, treat, and manage their patient's oral health care needs. They can diagnose and treat oral diseases and perform restorative procedures. They also participate in training their patients in good oral hygiene. Geriatric dentists offer their patients a complete range of dental services from dental exams and dental cleanings to fillings and root canal treatments.
3. Prevent Dental Problems- Advancing age puts many senior citizens at risk for a number of oral health problems, such as root decay, gum disease, teeth shifting, and jawbone loss. Poor dental hygiene or ill-fitting dentures can cause denture-induced stomatitis, which is inflammation of the tissue underlying a denture. Medications can also affect oral health and may make a change in your dental treatment necessary.
4. Prevent Tooth Loss- Preventing tooth loss requires a commitment to healthy, smart diet and dental choices. Tooth loss is a process in which a tooth comes loose and falls out. Some common causes of tooth loss include smoking, bad oral hygiene, diseases, poor nutrition, or injury to your teeth. A healthy diet, good oral hygiene, and regular visits to a geriatric dentist can help you prevent tooth loss.
5. Avoid Drug Interactions- With the aging of the population and the development of effective agents to manage medical conditions, the risk for adverse drug interactions has increased. Geriatric dentists must also be familiar with a host of medications that older patients may be taking, because drug interactions with dental practices can be very hazardous.
6. Maintain Overall Health- Taking good care of your gums and teeth is a worthy goal in and of itself. You may be risking your health if you don’t see your geriatric dentist regularly. Research shows that oral health can have an impact on your overall health. A healthy mouth may reduce your risk of serious health problems such as heart attack, stroke and heart disease.
To keep your oral health on track, call Friendly Smiles at (856) 464-1141 today to schedule a dental appointment in West Deptford and Mantua, NJ. Your daily oral hygiene routine and professional dental care are more than just taking care of your teeth. They're important steps in taking care of yourself.
Interested in Sharon M. Verdinelli, DMD being your Geriatric Dentist?
Call our West Deptford and Mantua, NJ office at (856) 464-1141 today!